Sponsored bird watch diary 22nd April 2007

After dropping off my parents at Yeadon Airport I arrived at Knotford Nook...

Knotford Nook: 06.40
no sign of the male Pochard from last weekend or of any arrival of Yellow Wagtails. Just a few common species to start my day's list: Coot, Swallow, Moorhen, Mallard, Mute Swan, Goldfinch, Blackbird etc, heard Blackcap

Private Wetlands 07.00
2 Swift, 2 Common Sandpiper (both my firsts of the year), 1 Greenshank!, 50+ Sand Martin, Willow Warbler, Redshank, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Tufted Duck, 4 GCGrebe, 1 Little Grebe, Greylags, Canadas, Cormorant, GHeron, Long-tailed Tits, Reed Bunting, Jay, Greenfinch, 2 Grey Partridge.
I was disappointed that the Wigeon weren't about and no sign of Goldeneye, however, a single Red-breasted Goose (escapee from Harewood no doubt) was worth a look. To make things more bizarre I saw one of the infamous Parakeets as I made my way back to my car. And I still couldn't find a Blackcap to look at.

I then drove home to Riddlesden to pick up my good lady wife before we travelled to Barden and walked to Cavendish Pavillion and back. En route I saw a Sparrowhawk. I went via Baildon Moor hoping to see Yellowhammer but only managed Kestrel

East Riddlesden Hall 09.00
Chiffchaff, Goosander, Stock Dove, 2 Greylags on lake, BHGull, heard Blackcap again. Best sighting was a Red-legged Partridge.

Barden to Cavendish Pavillion and back: 10.00-12.50
4 male Pied Flycatchers plus a pair, 3 male Redstarts, Common Sandpiper, 2 male Mandarin,
Dipper with 4 juvs, Grey Wagtails, 1 Raven, Nuthatches, Treecreeper, GSWdpkr, Sand Martin, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Buzzard, Curlew, heard Blackcap, heard Goldcrest, heard Green Woodpecker.
My first Pied Flys and Redstarts of the year were the highlights as well as a single Raven over the moors.

East Riddlesden Hall: 13.30, Back home for lunch and some garden birding:
2 Bullfinch, 1 female Blackcap (a sighting at last!), Song Thrush, Coal Tit, heard Kingfisher, heard Brambling,

having checked my list I decided to go check a couple of reservoirs during the late afternoon and also some moorland habitat to try and maximise my species...

Doe Park Reservoir:
Skylark, Linnets, Common Sandpiper, Swallow

Trough Lane: - 12 Wheatear, male Stonechat

Members Only Res 16.00 - 17.00
Snipe, Golden Plover, 2 female Goldeneye, Linnets, Swallows, Skylarks, 2 Oystercatchers, 5 LBBGulls, 1 Red-legged Partridge, 2 Grey Partridge, Meadow Pipits, Pied Wagtails, Willow Warblers

Whetstone Quarry area 17.30
Red Grouse, Little Owl, Meadow Pipits

As the day list was for a sponsored event I decided I'd count every bird seen including escapees and Feral Pigeons.
My total for the day = 90 birds seen plus another 5 heard = 95 species.

Not a bad total to say I didn't go flat out and bird from dawn 'til dusk and I didn't linger at any location to see what might drop in.


M Doveston